Tuesday, May 4, 2010

One Lap of America Round 6 - Gateway

With such a late departure from Tulsa, we didn't pass the St. Louis Arch until the AM hours, so we would only get about 4 or 5 hours of sleep. On the way to the track, I repeated my routine of reviewing video and the track map. Gateway is what’s commonly referred to as a “roval”. Or, a high-speed oval with an infield road course. I borrowed a bike from fellow competitor, Dan Corcoran, and took a ride around the track, slightly slower than full speed. The infield looked nice and flowing, but the transition from the banking to the straight and the straight to the infield were somewhat unknown.


In my morning run, I felt out the course, trying to find my turn-in for the long sweeper in the infield. The rest of the course came pretty naturally, but the start line was on the straight of the oval, so the first time I would go through Turn 1 into the infield, would be on my start lap. Eric VanCleef started in front of me in the Subaru STi. He made a hard, smoky launch, which I would later find had broken his LR axle. From a standing start, it wasn’t a problem to get through Turn 1 for me. As I approached Turns 3 and 4, I saw the spectators waving their hands at me. I breathed off the throttle for just a split second as I turned my eyes back down the track, but could not see any obstacle. I stayed in it as I saw a yellow flag ahead. I was able to spot the Subaru off the track to the left and, since it wasn’t in my way, didn’t slow in the slightest. I did, however, feel very bad for Eric, thinking at that time that he may have had an impact.


The car was a bit loose in the last turn leading onto the oval, but it was controllable. Accelerating toward the banked NASCAR turn, I short-shifted by a few hundred rpm into 4th gear so that I wouldn’t have to up-shift in the turn. I could definitely feel the rear wing doing its job through the banking, as the car transitioned to a push in the ~110 mph turn. The car pulled to about 140mph before slowing it for Turn 1. The transition was awkward and tossed the car around. I had opted to over-brake before the turn and coast, or even accelerate slightly, through the turn in the name of safety for my first time by. I repeated my laps, tweaking my line in the banked turn and backing up my braking points a bit, bringing it home cleanly. With the Subaru broken, it turned out to be good enough for a 5th place finish.



In the afternoon run, I pushed a bit harder. I attacked the infield harder, floating corner to corner, even nicking the monstrous curbs a bit. I carried more speed through Turn 1, delaying more braking and my downshift to 3rd until before Turn 2. On my first time through, I trailed a bit too much brake into Turn 2, and the car went into a big slide. I held onto the drift like Initial D and came out with as much speed as I could, but that certainly isn’t the fast way around a turn. Worse yet, I don’t think there were even any cameras focused on that corner! I had been finding the car to be a bit loose on the first lap of each session, so this shouldn’t have surprised me. I finished off my run to repeat my 5th place morning performance and advance to 8th overall!



On our way to Mid-Ohio, we were caravanning with Neil Simon / Woody Hair and Robin Sparrow / Brian Hair as we passed through a construction zone. I thought it would be funny to pick up a construction cone and carry it for a while, so I asked Kevin to pull close enough so I could nab one at 30mph. I pulled my hand back at the last moment, realizing how much that was about to hurt. But then I found my chance when he slowed down. At 10-15 mph, I grabbed one and just carried it alongside the car for a while. When we neared the actual construction, I considered the possibility that they may not be amused by my shenanigans, so I pulled the cone into the car. Once the road opened up, I put my arm in the cone and stuck it out the window as we pulled up on Robin and Brian. They looked over and started cracking up. I decided that I needed to do SOMETHING with this cone, so I started taking sneaky photos of the cone on everyone’s cars while I figured it out. It’s a pain to have the cone between my legs in the car for the remainder of the street miles, but we needed to entertain ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment